John 8:36

"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." John 8:36

Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Truth will Set You Free

"I assure you: Everyone who commits a sin is a slave of sin. A slave does not remain in the household forever, but a son does remain forever. Therefore if the Son sets you free, you really will be free." 
John 8: 34-36 HCSB




Before I gave my life to Christ, I was a slave to the god of self-image. Everything I did was to create this image of me, every day I worked on painting that perfect picture of a girl who didn't struggle and had a perfect life. Everything I wore, everything I said, every sport I played, every person I surrounded myself with, was under the master of this god in my life. But that isn't how God designed me to live. Soon it became an addiction to lying, creating a false image of myself. I seemed happy on the outside but on the inside I was lacking purpose and joy. I was insecure and afraid. All of that changed one day when I truly encountered God for the first time. I realized that being a christian wasn't about walking down the isle and saying a magical prayer, or even having mere historical faith. I believed in God, I had faith that He was real, but even the demons believe that and shudder (James 2:19). I thought I had the faith that God asks of us, but I never had trusting faith. I had accepted christ into my heart, but never trusted my heart and my life to Christ. The moment I trusted my life to Him everything changed. That was the moment that the truth set me free. I embarked on a journey where God changed me every day, and my loyalties changed from serving myself to serving God. 

"Christ has liberated us to be free. Stand firm then and don't submit again to a yoke of slavery."
Galatians 5:1 HCSB

The change that a christian who has trusted their life to Christ embarks isn't a brief church high, it's a one sided mountain, always going up. Christ doesn't want you to submit to that slavery of sin again, he defeated death so that we may be free of it. Stand firm in that promise, and His spirit will help you overcome. 

Christ set us free,
not to stay in chains,
but to change.

He didn't die on the cross 
for a special prayer and a talk,
He became the curse of sin
so that we might win
this battle of sin trying to overtake
us.

In return for this gift, 
he demands our life and our hearts,
so that He might make us into His art,
something beautiful,
something made NEW.

1 comment: